Phone: 503.974.6801

History Of Our Name

From a historical plaque located on SE Grand Avenue, located in what was the originally the center of East Portland:

"On July 1, 1891 East Portland officially merged with the cities of Albina and Portland to form the third largest city in the Western half of the United States, outranked only by Denver and San Francisco. The city of East Portland was laid out in 1861 by James Stephens, who established the first regular ferry service across the Willamette and the region's first cider mill. East Portland's initial development was spurred by Ben Holladay's construction of an eastside rail line, the Oregon Central Railroad. The construction of the Morrison bridge in 1887 further stimulated growth as street car service opened up thousands of acres of land for residential development.

East Portland businessmen and politicians supported consolidation and hoped it would solve the cities' financial indebtedness and overcome the Willamette River as a growth-inhibiting boundary. Lead by their last mayor, J.L. Stewart, city officials and residents turned out in overwhelming vote, six to one, in favor of consolidation with Albina and Portland."

We chose this as our name to subtly make reference the various sections of Portland that were once separate and independent of one another. Through consolidation, these delineations became the neighborhoods that everyone is so used to. We're fans of history and architecture and can't help but become nostalgic over the way things like windows were made when East Portland was a town of it's own. We appreciate that when these communities developed, the distance between may not have been so great, but each developed singularly for a reason and it's interesting to view from our vantage point, the way they all came together to form what we know as our city.